4/14/2010

Knock on Wood

The loud drumming echoed throughout the woods that lead immediately from our door. No mistaking what it was...and within minutes, there he (she?) was. The guide book says the male has a more extended crest (surprise), but unless they're side by each, it's hard to tell. At least, I can't tell. But! There's Woody!
Right at the bend in the driveway.
Knockaknockaknockaknocka.
Not caring one wood chip that I was standing at the bottom of the tree.

The effort was intense and practically non-stop. Apparently, the drumming is to establish territory, but since this Pileated Woodpecker has been in our yard all winter, I think - -I hope - - that she/he's actually carving out a home.

How many of North America's largest woodpecker might fit in the hole? An adult is 16-17" long..that's a lot of feathers that will fill the room.
Not to mention the little woodies.
Doesn't appear to be anyone home...yet...
knockaknockaknockaknocka

12 comments:

Ruth said...

I see Pileated Woodpeckers maybe three times a year here. But when I visited Ottawa last year, I visited a trail and saw 6 in one hour. Lucky you to get such good pictures.

faye said...

I have been chasing pileated woodpeckers at Paynes Prairie for
almost a year. They are the loudest
of the types I have encountered.
oh.. the male has a splash of red
across his face and to me it makes him appear like the JOKER from Batman.

Great capture.

Lori Skoog said...

That is some hole! Great shots.

Dave said...

Wow! Who's the lucky girl! I saw one last year...I'm just never in the right place...

Felicia said...

I love Pileated Woodpeckers! I've got one that hangs out near my place, foraging on the ground (oddly enough). I hope your guy decides to settle near you this season!

Unknown said...

WOW, looks like you had a lovely sighting...Thomas

FAB said...

Whow, a Pileated making a new home on your property. How cool is that.

DUTA said...

The title of the post perfectly suits the pictures: the woodpecker knocking on the wood of the tree and making a hole. I don't see this in the urban area where I live. Beautiful!

A human kind of human said...

Well whether it is carving out a home or not, that hole seems pretty solid to me (can a hole be described as solid?) :lol:

Powell River Books said...

Thanks for becoming a followers of my blog. It looks like we have some common interests. We had a woodpecker "adopt" our cabin two years ago and he made quite a mess of our wall and roof eves. It took quite a bit of persuasion to encourage him (her?) to find another place to drill holes. I still have an owl face I painted up at the peak, but it didn't faze him a bit. - Margy

Diane AZ said...

I would love to see one of those "in person" sometime! :)

Johnny Nutcase said...

great sighting and photos - i love seeing the pileated! That's great they've made your yard their home for now :)