11/14/2010

The Growing Flock

A friend was over the other day and commented on one of the wading birds on top of the pine cupboard.She wanted to know if I could recall where I bought it. And I could.
In fact, each little wooden wonder has a story to tell, that usually involves a holiday somewhere, a local gift shop, and the search for something unique.

However, it  seems that my definition of "unique" is somewhat slanted. Unique means anything birdish...wood, stone, wood and stone. If it has a beak and wings, and  a certain charm, then it gets placed on the list of possible acquisitions.

'Course, once people catch wind of the fact that you like carvings of birds, then it's pretty much game on, and the collection begins to take on a life of its own.
A very nice life I might add.


I now have decoys, and carvings, and sox, and boxer shorts, and earrings, and necklaces, and prints and paintings and books, many, many books...and the subject matters is birds.



And of course, there is always room for more.



It's amazing when I stop and look at the 'aviary' that my home has unwittingly become! And when I start to count all of the birds in it, including those in the all the other rooms, not just the kitchen/dining/living area. Well, let's just say, there's more than a baker's dozen. Or  four.
I would venture to say that most birders have a similar affliction. If it's got wings, and beak, and it flies...it'll likely end up feathering your nest. And if you don't want it, I think I know someone who can likely find a place for it.


5 comments:

Kelly said...

...I love your flock! (...and yes, I have a flock too...very similar to yours.) Yikes...I just looked around my office and counted 12 without even trying. :-)

A human kind of human said...

Just outside my hometown is Nylsvlei. This is a floodplain - one of only two freshwater floodplains in ZA - with the largest concentration of bird species in the southern hemisphere. I am not a "birder" as such so I do not appreciate Nylsvlei as it should be apreciated. Now I am thinking, if you should come for a visit, it would surely be appreciated as it should. How about it? (big smile)

Lori Skoog said...

I have a good friend that is a carver, if you ever want to add to your collection. We have two of his pieces...I will post them for you.

steviewren said...

Of course you know I like your birdies!

Dave said...

Oh, and you have an Audubon bird call also!
I remember selling those during my time at The Nature Company!