3/29/2010

Cityscapes.

I’ve lived in the country for most of my life. This includes two or three stints in an urban landscape during high school and university years, and for a while after that. But for the most part, I’ve lived in the country, where the air is clean, the sky is blue, I see wildlife on an almost daily basis, and I can’t always get what I want at the grocery store. Consumer leakage occurs for a few other
items too, but that’s a different blogpost.
Yup! I’m a country mouse, and I LOVE going to the big city. By big, I mean Ottawa, Toronto, or Montreal (the three that are closest to me). Last weekend, it was Montreal to help my
daughter while she had some medical issues attended to.
She lives in a great apartment, in NDG - a downtown neighbourhood, short for Notre Dame de Grace. Her apartment is very funky - and in this case, the word is apt. It’s over 100 years old, right on Sherbrooke Street, has high ceilings, plaster walls, not enough electrical outlets,
and a wonderful view from the little two person balcony.

(Ed. note.  There is no elevator and she’s on the top floor of this thighrise with its built in stairmaster!)

These paintings – by my talented daughter – are her interpretation of her urban landscape:


When I’m in Montreal, I love going to the Atwater Market. This market is a well established, renowned regional destination, and for good reason! The food is always artfully displayed, reasonably priced, bountiful, and delicious. It is an exceptional example of the merchandising premise “first you feast with your eyes”.

The Royal Victoria Hospital in Montreal is likely one of the oldest hospitals in Canada, and it’s in a constant state of renovation. While we spent a few hours there, I was able to step back into the 1880’s, and pretty much every other decade spanning the last 150 years!

Now back home, I am no longer vertically challenged by stairs,
and“highrise” has a totally different meaning here…

10 comments:

Johnny Nutcase said...

great post! your daughter's paintings are super, great talent there! I hear ya on the country living. I do not thrive in cities...towns with 5,000 and less are my kinda living! the more remote the better :)

Murr Brewster said...

Love those paintings. And nonexistent elevators are the best kind. The hospital looks like they might use a rack in the gynecology department, though.

Dave said...

I was the city mouse...now I love to escape from it!
Great artwork by your daughter! Talent must run in the family, eh?

John Freeman said...

try lugging up a big mattress and box spring on your back while carrying a hutch under your arms!
anyways great apartment!

Wolynski said...

Wow, your daughter is a very talented artist - wonderful paintings.

And you took some great photos, especially in the market.

I love the country as well... for 2 weeks out of the year. Then I start missing cement underfoot, neon and police sirens. I'm such a city animal.

Felicia said...

Your daughter's paintings are very cool! I've always wanted to visit Montreal--maybe someday...thanks for sharing.

steviewren said...

Love this post with its peek into your daughter's city lifestyle vs your country living. Her paintings are great. I think it would be very hard to paint a cityscape...there are so many details to record. Love the grocery store. Did you take home any treats. I hope all is well with your daughter.

A human kind of human said...

I have just spent the last 30 minutes looking though your latest posts and my conclusion... 30 minutes well-spent!

DUTA said...

I like markets everywhere, and the ones in Montreal seem worth spending a few hours on visiting them.

As for your daughter, I hope her good luck with her medical issue is as big as her painting talent.

Diane AZ said...

Looks like your daughter enjoys living in the city. I love her paintings!