4/28/2009

Just Perfect

Three and a half years ago I underwent treatment for breast cancer - lumpectomy and radiation. It was caught very early thanks to a spider bite that I went to see my doctor about, thereby establishing a life-long love affair with tiny spiders -despite having hated spiders as a young woman. That bite, about where a diamond pendant would sit, led to a mammogram and ultrasound, which in turn led to a diagnosis and subsequent treatment.
Today was one of the 2 days a year I go back for a check up at the treatment centre. Despite feeling great, and taking care of myself, yada, yada, yada, I generally find myself filled with dread on these days as we drive in to the city. What if, whatif, whatifff....
We can look at a lot of things and pronounce perfection...a sunset, a flower, a meal...but when your doctor looks at the latest blood test results and the most recent mammogram, and says, "You're perfect"? Well, THAT's what I definitely call perfect. And then on the way home, seeing two beautiful meadowlarks flirting in a field...that was the icing on the cake and the perfect ending to a perfect day.

3 comments:

Dave said...

Yea! Congratulations and good health to you.
The Warblers are on the way to visist you, so keep looking up!
Dave

Susan Ellis said...

Thanks Dave. It's amazing how healing it is to observe something other than oneself!

John Freeman said...

Great news!